The objectives of the Vespucci Initiative are:
- To integrate and synthesize ideas in different research fields germane to the analysis of location
- To identify emerging research directions in related disciplines.
- To foster professional development for present and future practitioners in the research and applications communities.
- To develop new methods and tools supporting policy, good governance, and decision-making.
- To lead towards the establishment of a permanent Academy with the mission of becoming the international research-lead environment of choice for the advancement of Geographic Information Science, and its relevance to Society.